Nobody wants to feel small in the universe. Unfortunately, this is kind of a reality that we have to deal with. Feeling insignificant in the universe isn’t something that only applies to you. Many people do, and this article will explore good words to associate with it.
The preferred versions are “in perspective,” “in awe,” and “existential.” These words and phrases are a great way to show different aspects of how small one might feel when considering the size of the universe. They come with both positive and negative connotations.
“In perspective” is great to put things a certain way. It really allows you to focus on the parts of the universe that impress you. When you put something “in perspective,” it means you’re comparing it to a particular way of thinking.
In this case, we use perspective to show that the universe is massive compared to us and how we feel in it.
The definition of “perspective,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “a particular way of considering something.”
- Putting everything in perspective shows that we really aren’t much in this universe. We simply blink in and blink out in a matter of seconds.
- I think that we’re so small in perspective. The universe barely even knows that we exist, so why do we all care so much?
- In perspective, you are nothing. You are just as small as I am in this world, and nothing will ever change that fact, I’m afraid.
“In awe” is both positive and negative when we use it. It refers to a feeling of surprise or admiration when thinking about our relative size in the universe. It also refers to a deeper fear of just how insignificant and small we all are.
The definition of “awe,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “a feeling of great respect sometimes mixed with fear or surprise.”
- The awe I feel when thinking about the universe is unparalleled. Nothing can make me feel more inferior than that.
- It’s truly awe-inspiring to think about how small we are in comparison to the grander scheme of the universe.
- I love the feeling of awe I get in most cases. However, when I think about how small I am in this universe, I all of a sudden stop caring.
“Existential” refers to a philosophical problem associated with our existence. It allows us to ask questions like “what is the point?” and “why are we here?”
We use these questions to try to answer why we are so small in this universe (and whether there’s a reason for us).
The definition of “existential,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “relating to a philosophy according to which the world has no meaning and each person is alone and completely responsible for his or her own actions.”
- I’m having a bit of an existential crisis right now. Why do I even care what happens to me when I’m so small in this universe?
- The world is massive, and I don’t belong here. I know that’s a bit too existential for your liking, but it’s what I’m feeling right now.
- I think you’re having a bit of an existential meltdown. Is there anything we can say that’s going to make you feel a bit better?
“Sonder” is an interesting concept. We use this to refer to the understanding that there are other people around you living completely different lives that are unique to them and completely different to you and your own problems.
This can be extended to show that you and the other people are nothing compared to the size of the universe. After all, billions of people are living on this planet, and each one has a different story to tell (that you’ve probably never heard of).
- Have you ever experienced sonder? It’s the realization that everyone you pass by is living their own insignificant life.
- The sonder I feel when walking by other people mounts up over time. I don’t know how long I can keep doing this.
- I learned that sonder is what we use to refer to other people existing and living different lives at the same time as you.
“In wonder” is another great way to show that you always think about the universe and its magnitude with great admiration. This is generally a more positive emotion, but it can also lead to overwhelming existential issues for some people who can’t handle it.
The definition of “wonder,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “a feeling of great surprise and admiration caused by seeing or experiencing something that is strange and new.”
- I’m in wonder when I think about how small I am in the universe. I can’t figure out whether it’s a positive or negative emotion.
- He’s in complete wonder right now. I don’t think you’re going to bring him back to reality anytime soon, unfortunately.
- Are you in wonder like I am? I think it’s so difficult to let go of the thoughts when you know how small you really are.
“Insignificant” is a great negative word that refers to someone feeling small. You won’t find this used in positive contexts because it does not allow us to be proud of ourselves.
Instead, insignificance is a great concept to show just how vast the universe is compared to you and your problems.
The definition of “insignificant,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “small or not noticeable, and therefore not considered important.”
- You and I are just so insignificant. Everything we do is irrelevant, and there’s really no way for us to be able to change that.
- I’m too insignificant in this universe to care. Why should anything I do matter if it doesn’t change anything out there?
- I think we’re all more insignificant than we realize. It would help if we could all remember that.
An “epiphany” can appear in many ways. No matter how it appears, they always refer to a moment when you suddenly understand something you might not have been aware of before.
In this article, we will use “epiphany” to show that you’ve finally realized how small you are in the universe. It’s not something you were actively thinking about, but it’s also something that came about as an intrusive thought.
The definition of “epiphany,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “a moment when you suddenly feel that you understand, or suddenly become conscious of, something that is very important to you.”
- I’ve just had an epiphany that reminded me of how small I am. I can’t believe I ever took myself so seriously in this world.
- My epiphany showed me the truth about the universe. We’re all so small that everything we do is irrelevant. It sucks, but it’s true.
- He’s had an epiphany about the feeling of being small in this universe. If you can get through to him, now is the chance to try it.
“Yugen” is a word of Japanese origin. It refers to a profound and mysterious sense of beauty in the universe. This idea can also be applied to a much greater sense of the word, implying that the universe is much bigger than everyone and everything in it.
- I’ve had a lot of time to think about the yugen in my life. It’s hard to understand or cope with the truth or scale of things.
- In a moment of true yugen, I’ve discovered that nothing really matters. I think it’s time that we stop caring about these conflicts.
- Yugen is the truth that the universe is much greater than you or me. We need to start working together to combat these thoughts.
“Humility” is a great choice if you want to show that you feel disheartened because you are small in the universe.
There are many contexts where “humility” applies, but in this case, it refers to feeling inferior to the universe as a whole. It allows the universe to shed light on your negative aspects, which in turn makes you feel smaller than anything else.
The definition of “humility,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “the quality of not being proud because you are aware of your bad qualities.”
- I’m not certain that this humility is going to get you anywhere, Matthew. You need to stop thinking of yourself as so small in this universe.
- We all need to show off our humility. We’re nothing compared to what’s out there, and we need to make sure we remember that.
- I’m not sure humility is the answer. If you’re so small compared to the universe, you should at least try to make yourself bigger.
“Numinous” is an adjective used to refer to having a deep, spiritual quality about you. This quality can manifest itself in many ways, but this article uses “numinous” to show that you’ve had existential thoughts related to your size in the universe.
The definition of “numinous,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “having a deep spiritual quality or connection.”
- It’s a truly numinous feeling when you look at how massive the universe is. I don’t know whether I love or hate it.
- I get this numinous sense that I’m nothing but an insect in the universe. It’s really sad, but that’s how I feel.
- I think the numinous idea of us as a whole is that we’re nothing. We’ll never amount to anything either, not relative to what the universe can do.
Martin holds a Master’s degree in Finance and International Business. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Read more about Martin here.