If you would like to know how to say thank you to your coworkers for a gift, this article is here to help. We’ll help you to say thanks to all your colleagues when they’ve got you a gift for any reason (i.e. a birthday or wedding gift).
The best alternatives to use are “wow! I was not expecting this,” “thank you so much for this gift,” and “I did not expect to receive this from you.” These are great ways to thank your colleagues for the gift they might have given you.
1. Wow! I Was Not Expecting This!
“Wow! I was not expecting this!” is a great phrase to say when you’re shocked by an unexpected gift. You should use it when you are giving a gift at the most surprising time. It works well when leaving the company if you didn’t think that people will get you anything.
- Wow! I was not expecting this! This is such an unexpected gift from all of you. Thank you so much for chipping in.
- Wow! I was not expecting this! I didn’t realize you all cared so much! Now, I’m really going to miss you guys.
- Wow! I was not expecting this! I’m so grateful that you guys remembered my birthday! Most of my own family forgot!
2. Thank You So Much For This Gift
If you’re looking for something that works better professionally, you should try this phrase. It shows that you appreciate the gift your coworkers gave you without using informal language.
- Thank you so much for this gift. It’s not often that I cry at work, but I think this will be one of the times that I do!
- Thank you so much for this gift. It’s so unexpected, and I’m happy that you all felt you needed to give this to me.
- Thank you so much for this gift. It’s the best farewell gift I could have asked for. You are the best coworkers!
3. I Did Not Expect To Receive This From You
“I did not expect to receive this from you” is a great phrase in many situations. It means that you did not expect the gift, but you’re so happy to receive it from your coworkers.
- I did not expect to receive this from you. You really caught me off guard with your generosity. Thank you so much.
- I did not expect to receive this from you. It’s the perfect gift to take with me and decorate my new office.
- I did not expect to receive this from you. You all know me so much better than I realized! Thank you so much!
4. I Really Appreciate The Gift You Got Me
“I really appreciate the gift you got me” works well in many situations. It shows that you like the gift that people gave to you in a formal setting, which applies when your coworkers have come together to get you a gift.
- I’ll miss you guys. I really appreciate the gift you got me. I’ll keep in touch with you at my new workplace.
- I really appreciate the gift you got me. It’s a great birthday gift, and I will hold on to this one.
- I really appreciate the gift you got me. I didn’t realize you all liked me enough to chip in for a wedding gift together.
5. Did You All Come Together To Get Me This?
“Did you all come together to get me this?” asks your coworkers whether they all chipped in so you can thank them all as a group. It doesn’t explicitly say “thank you” in the question, but the implication is that you appreciate the gift.
- Did you all come together to get me this? I wasn’t expecting a wedding gift, but I really appreciate the effort that went into it!
- Did you all come together to get me this? It’s such a thoughtful gift. I really don’t know how I can ever thank you.
- Did you all come together to get me this? It’s such a lovely idea. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
6. I Love This! Thank You!
“I love this! Thank you!” is an informal way to thank your coworkers for a gift. It is informal because it uses two exclamations to show that you’re overjoyed by the gift you received. It’s most common to hear this in spoken English rather than in a written thank you note.
- I love this! Thank you! You got me the best gift of all. None of my friends or family members thought about getting me this.
- I love this! Thank you! I wasn’t expecting this when I came to work today. Happy Birthday to me, I guess!
- I love this! Thank you! I really don’t deserve it, though. I’d love to repay you all for this awesome gift sometime.
7. You’re The Best Coworkers
“You’re the best coworkers” is a great way to show that you care about your colleagues and don’t think you’ll find any better ones. It works well when they’ve provided a gift to you that means a lot.
- You’re the best coworkers a guy could ask for. You didn’t have to go out of your way to get me this, but you did it anyway.
- You’re the best coworkers. I love every single one of you because of this thoughtful gift. Thank you so much!
- You’re the best coworkers. I don’t want to say goodbye now. I’m really going to miss this team.
8. I Appreciate This Thoughtful Gift
“I appreciate this thoughtful gift” is a great phrase in many cases. It shows that you can see the care and effort that went into buying you the gift or present from your coworkers. Your coworkers will be flattered if you use this one with them.
- I appreciate this thoughtful gift. I don’t think you realize just how much this means to me. Everyone else forgot my birthday.
- I appreciate this thoughtful gift. It’s so unexpected, and I really don’t know what to say. It’s such a thoughtful idea.
- I appreciate this thoughtful gift. I hope I will see you all again soon, so I can repay you for all the lovely things you’ve got me.
9. This Gift Shows That You Care
“This gift shows that you care” lets your coworkers know that you value them and the effort they went to with the gift. It works well because it lets them know that you care about them as well. The more impactful the gift, the better this phrase will become.
- This gift shows that you care. I never realized just how much you all believed in me and the future I have.
- This gift shows that you care about me, and I love that. It’s such a kind way to share what I mean to you.
- This gift shows that you care, and that’s more than enough for me. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.
10. I Will Certainly Keep In Touch Now!
“I will certainly keep in touch now!” is a great phrase to use if you’re not very close to your coworkers. If you weren’t sure whether you’d stay in touch, this phrase will work if they’ve given you a gift that shows that you actually did mean something to them after all.
- I will certainly keep in touch now! I can’t believe you all chipped in to get me a wedding gift of this caliber!
- I will certainly keep in touch now. I love this gift so much. You’ve really touched me with this.
- I will certainly keep in touch now. I didn’t realize that you all cared so much. You’re all such kind souls.
11. It’s A Shame To Leave You All, But I Appreciate The Gift
“It’s a shame to leave you all” means that you’ll miss the people you work with after leaving. “I appreciate the gift” allows you to be appreciative in a formal way. The combination of these sentences works well in many formal situations.
- It’s a shame to leave you all, but I appreciate the gift. I’ll see you again soon, I’m sure. I’ll let you know how I get on.
- It’s a shame to leave you all, but I appreciate the farewell gift. It was such a kind thought, and I hope I can repay you.
- It’s a shame to leave you all, but I appreciate the gift. I’m glad that I got the chance to work with you all.
12. This Gift Means Everything To Me
“This gift means everything to me” is a suitable choice in both formal and informal contexts. You can use it when your coworkers have given you a gift that you did not expect but managed to bring a tear to your eye.
- This gift means everything to me. It’s not often that I well up over a gift from coworkers, but this is going to be the time.
- This gift means everything to me. It’s the perfect wedding gift, and I’m sure my husband is going to love it.
- This gift means everything to me. Thank you so much for showing me just how much you care! I love you guys.
Martin holds a Master’s degree in Finance and International Business. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Read more about Martin here.