“How did you sleep?” is a very common question partners ask after seeing you in the morning. It’s a strange question when you really think about it (after all, you won’t know how well you slept).
However, it’s nice to know how to respond to “how did you sleep.”
This article has provided you with the best responses to use when someone asks you how you slept.
- I slept well, thank you
- All the better with you beside me
- Pretty well!
- I actually slept okay for once
- I don’t remember since I was sleeping
- You tell me!
- Well, I was asleep for most of it
- I couldn’t possibly tell you
- It’s always better to sleep with you around
Keep reading to find out interesting, funny, and flirty responses to “how did you sleep.”
1. I Slept Well, Thank You
Let’s face it; it’s hard to know how to respond to “how did you sleep?” But that doesn’t mean you can’t use a polite and generic response like “I slept well, thank you.”
It’s great to include in a text when someone messages you in the morning. It’s a good way to reply to loved ones when they text after you to see how you slept the night before.
Also, it’s useful in other situations. You can use it when anyone asks you how you slept (not just loved ones). It’s a simple response that shows you had a good sleep without going into too much detail.
Check out these examples to see how to use it:
- I slept well, thank you. How did you sleep?
- Of course, I slept well, thank you. Though, I have to admit I don’t remember much about my sleep!
2. All the Better With You Beside Me
If you’re looking for a good response to your boyfriend or girlfriend, try “all the better with you beside me.”
It’s a cute response that shows you enjoy sleeping next to someone you care about.
So, when a guy asks “how did you sleep?” it may be worth replying “all the better with you beside me.” You’ll find that they’re flattered by your openness and honesty.
Here are two examples to show you how it works:
- All the better with you beside me, honey. I always seem to have the best sleep with you around.
- Well, all the better with you beside me. You’re such a lovely person to be around at night.
3. Pretty Well!
“Pretty well!” is a fairly simple response to “how did you sleep?” It shows that you had a good night and slept well (i.e., you got a lot of rest).
It’s also quite a simple phrase to use as a response. Including the exclamation mark in a text message also shows enthusiasm or excitement about your good sleep.
It might be worth using this one when you’re surprised you got a good sleep. After all, good sleep can be hard to come by (especially if you’re a busy working professional).
Here are some examples if you’re still unsure about using it:
- Pretty well! Thanks so much for asking; it’s not often that I get to answer a question about my sleep.
- Pretty well, thanks! Though, I don’t really remember having any dreams that might make it more interesting.
4. I Actually Slept Okay for Once
Are you surprised that you slept well last night? Perhaps a funny answer like “I actually slept okay for once” will work well for you.
There are plenty of situations where an answer like this works well.
Generally, you’ll use it when texting your friends. It shows that you’re shocked to have slept as well as you did. It’s even more effective if your friends know that you don’t often get a good sleep.
Check out the following examples to see how it works:
- I actually slept okay for once, which was a big surprise for me! How did you sleep after everything?
- I actually slept okay for once, and I’m really happy with myself. Thank you so much for asking.
5. I Don’t Remember Since I Was Sleeping
Sarcastic responses aren’t always encouraged, but they can be fun. You can sound sarcastic by replying with “I don’t remember since I was sleeping.”
It’s a fun response that shows you do not have anything special to say about how well (or poorly) you slept.
Your friends will often appreciate a comment like this. It’s quite amusing.
However, you should be careful to whom you say it. It may be seen as rude if you use the wrong tone.
You may also refer to the following examples:
- Well, I don’t remember since I was sleeping. I’ve always found that question to be strange.
- I don’t remember since I was sleeping. If you’re going to opt for small talk, maybe choose something less boring.
6. You Tell Me!
“You tell me!” is an interesting response to “how did you sleep?” that works well in some cases. You can use it when your partner asks how you slept the night before.
Of course, “you tell me!” only works if your partner slept next to you. It implies that they should better understand how you slept because they were next to you.
After all, if you’re asleep, you won’t remember much about actually sleeping. Your partner is more likely to know if you moved around, snored, or spoke in your sleep as they’re right next to you.
We recommend reviewing the following examples as well:
- You tell me! You were lying next to me all night, so you should know more than I do.
- Oh, you tell me! I remember nothing about sleeping, but I knew I felt safe in your company.
7. Well, I Was Asleep for Most of It
A great way to sarcastically respond to “how did you sleep?” is “well, I was asleep for most of it.”
It shows that you think the question is stupid and doesn’t deserve a serious answer.
As with many sarcastic responses, you should be careful using this one. It’s best to use it when texting close friends. If they understand your sense of humor, they won’t mind you using a phrase like this.
Of course, if you use it when texting acquaintances, they might think you’re being rude. It’s a thin line, and you should ensure you know your audience before using something like this.
Check out the following examples if you’re still unsure:
- Well, I was asleep for most of it, so I don’t have much to say about it. After all, you don’t remember things when you’re sleeping.
- Well, I was asleep for most of it. I don’t mean to be facetious, but it’s a stupid question!
8. I Couldn’t Possibly Tell You
You may want to play coy with a phrase like “I couldn’t possibly tell you.” It works really well in a text message to friends, but it has a few meanings behind it.
The first meaning implies that you don’t want to tell someone how well you slept. It shows that you value your privacy and think talking about your sleep is unnecessary.
The second meaning implies that you don’t know how well you slept. Again, it plays into the idea that “how did you sleep?” is redundant because nobody knows how well they sleep.
Here are some examples to help you understand it better:
- I couldn’t possibly tell you because I was asleep the whole time! I’m sorry that my answer isn’t more interesting.
- I’m afraid I couldn’t possibly tell you! Perhaps I should ask you to see if you have a better answer!
9. It’s Always Better to Sleep With You Around
A loving response to give to your partner is “it’s always better to sleep with you around.”
It shows that you value their company and find your nights are most peaceful and relaxing when you’re next to them.
We recommend using this when texting your boyfriend or girlfriend. It shows that you’re happy to be in their company at night. It’s a great way of letting them know you get your best night’s sleep because of them.
Here are a few examples to also help you with it:
- It’s always better to sleep with you around, that’s for sure. I’m so grateful that you’re in my life.
- Well, it’s always better to sleep with you around. Thank you so much for being here to look after me.
Martin holds a Master’s degree in Finance and International Business. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Read more about Martin here.