Dance is a great expression of many things. You might know a great dancer, and you might be interested in a few ways to compliment them. This article will provide some of the best words to say after a dance performance to help you encourage someone you know.
The preferred compliments are “that was captivating,” “what a moving performance,” and “you move in a beautiful way.” These phrases are great when you want to share your positive feelings about someone’s performance in a dance show. You can use them to make someone feel great.
That Was Captivating
“That was captivating” is a very simple yet effective compliment for dancers. You can use “captivating” here to show that you couldn’t take your eyes off of the performance in front of you.
When a dancer is performing, they are often trying to capture their audience’s attention and imagination. Therefore, they will be very happy to hear that they delivered a very captivating masterpiece that managed to take your breath away.
- That was captivating. Thank you for inviting me along to see this. I couldn’t think of anything else I’d rather be doing.
- That was so captivating! You have such a talent for this kind of thing! Never give it up.
- I thought that was incredibly captivating. I don’t think I’ve ever been that impressed with someone’s performance before.
What A Moving Performance
“What a moving performance” is another great compliment. It uses “what a” as a start to the phrase, which is common when someone wants to create a complimentary sentence about something they’ve seen.
In this case, “moving performance” is used to show that you were moved by what you saw. “Moved,” in this sense, refers to feeling emotions that you might not have expected to feel when watching a dance show.
- What a moving performance that was! I knew you were gifted, but I don’t think I realized just how gifted!
- What a moving performance. Thank you for inviting me to see this. I knew it was going to be worth it.
- What a moving performance! I am so proud of the person you’ve become. All your hard work has clearly paid off.
You Move In A Beautiful Way
“You move in a beautiful way” is a very obvious compliment. If you want to speak to someone’s ability or capacity to dance more obviously, you can use this phrase to show that you think what they did was beautiful.
Being able to move in a beautiful way is no easy task. Someone will have to teach themselves how to control their body in a way that can be perceived as “beautiful” when they dance.
- You move in a beautiful way. I think it’s only fair that you hear that from me because I was blown away by you!
- I think you are moving in a beautiful way. You definitely have to share this gift with the world. It would be a shame if you didn’t.
- You move in such a beautiful way. I wish I could do half of the things you can with your body!
I Wish I Could Dance Like That
“I wish I could dance like that” is an interesting example of comments on dance performances. It shows the dancer that you’re slightly jealous of what they can do, but it’s phrased in a way that’s designed to compliment them.
Admitting that you can’t dance while the other person does it really well is a great way to boost someone’s confidence. It’s a complimentary tactic adopted by many people when they want to encourage their friends.
- I wish I could dance like that. It would really give me a lot of confidence in myself. You’re fantastic to watch.
- Wow! I wish I could dance like that! I didn’t even know it was humanly possible to get into some of those positions.
- I wish I could dance like that. I think you have such talent, and I can’t wait to see where you take this.
That Really Touched Me
“That really touched me” is great as far as comments after a dance performance go. It works well because it shows that someone has managed to dance in a way that touched you (i.e. made you feel emotions you didn’t expect to feel).
Dancers always want to try and touch their audience. It’s part of the job description for them. That’s why it’s good to let them know if they managed to do it.
- That performance really touched me. I think you did a marvelous job, and I would love to come and watch it again.
- That really touched me. Thank you for letting me in on this side of your life. I will never forget this.
- That show really touched me because of what I saw you do. You have a great gift for the dancing arts.
I Had No Idea You Were So Talented
“I had no idea you were so talented” is a good phrase to use when you didn’t expect someone to dance as well as they did. If you were genuinely surprised by the ability they possessed, then you might want to use this compliment to let them know.
Of course, if you know the dancer well, it might not be wise to use this compliment. This could work in the opposite manner, showing that you haven’t been paying close attention to the life or goals of the person you’re complimenting.
If you know them well enough, you should already know what talents they possess.
- I had no idea you were so talented! Where have you been hiding all of this?
- I had no idea you were so talented! I wish you could have told me sooner so I could have watched you perform earlier.
- I had absolutely no idea you were this talented! You really stole the show with the moves you performed.
I’ve Never Seen Someone Dance Like That
“I’ve never seen someone dance like that” is a great compliment that leans into your disbelief. If you are shocked and impressed with someone’s ability, you can use this phrase to show that you’ve never seen something like it before.
It’s great for compliments for dance performances to be worded in this way. After all, dancing well isn’t something that everyone can do. If you can share your disbelief or shock, it shows that you really respect the performance you saw.
- I’ve never seen someone dance like that before! You have a gift, and I hope you can share that with the world.
- I’ve never seen someone dance the way you did before. I’m so glad I got a chance to see it.
- I’ve never seen someone dance like that in my life! I couldn’t take my eyes off you! Not even for a second.
“You’re amazing” is probably the simplest compliment on this list. It’s also very general, allowing us to apply it to many situations when we’re impressed with something a person can do.
It still works as a good compliment for dancing because “amazing” shows that they’ve made you feel inspired. You might admire their performance because of how “amazing” it was.
- You’re amazing! Have I ever told you that before? It’s the truth.
- I thought you were amazing. I knew you could dance, but I didn’t know you could do it that well.
- You’re so amazing! Thank you for spending the time with me after the show to talk about your performance!
I Felt So Many Things Watching You
“I felt so many things watching you” is a great way to show that you got emotional when watching someone perform. Many dancers want to convey emotions and make their audiences feel those things, so it’s good to share this with them.
It’s basically like letting the dancer know that they succeeded in their job. It shows them that they moved in a way that managed to provoke feelings in you.
- I felt so many things watching you. I didn’t even know I could feel half of those emotions.
- I felt so many things watching you! Thank you for letting me come along to see your show.
- I felt so many things watching you. I can’t believe how good you are!
I Am So Proud Of You
“I am so proud of you” is a very generic compliment, but it works well nonetheless. We can use it to refer to someone’s dance performance when we want to show them that we understand how much work they’ve put into what they can do.
We can be proud of someone for their commitment or their ability. If they have proved that all the time they spent on the dance was worth it, then it’s worth telling them how proud you are.
- I am so proud of you! You have no idea how much I enjoyed watching you perform.
- Wow! I’m so proud of you. I can’t believe I got to see you perform like that! I loved every second of it.
- I am so incredibly proud of you. I knew you had a gift, but I didn’t know just how special it was.
You may also like:
11 Best Drawing Compliments (Praising Words)
10 Best Ways To Compliment A Girl’s Outfit (Praising Words)
10 Best Compliments For Teachers (Praising Words)
Martin holds a Master’s degree in Finance and International Business. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Read more about Martin here.