“Girls” is the plural form of the singular noun ‘girl’. In order to make plural of a singular noun we usually add ‘s’ or ‘es’ after the words.
“Girls’” is the possessive form of plural noun ‘girls’. In English grammar, possessives are used to indicate relations and possessions between people and things. In order to make possessive form of a plural word, we generally add an apostrophe (‘) at the end of that word; the possessive form of the plural noun “girls” will be girls’.
“Girl’s” is the possessive form of singular noun ‘girl’. In English grammar, possessives are used to indicate relations and possessions between people and things. In order to make possessive form of a singular word, we generally add an apostrophe + s (‘s) with that word; the possessive form of the word “girl” will be girl’s.
Should I use Girls or Girls’ or Girl’s?
Girls should be used if you are talking about more than one girl, not their possessions. For example: I saw two beautiful girls. Girls’ should be used if you are talking about more than one girl and their possessions or relations. For example: Girls’ desires are always lavish. On the other hand, if you are talking about only one girl and her possessions or relations then you must use girl’s. For example: my girl’s results are always good.
5 examples of how to use Girls in a sentence
- There are a lot of beautiful girls in my university but I love Angelina; she is beautiful and also intelligent, she is the perfect girl according to me.
- The girls of our college are always competitive; the reputation of our college is due to their effort and brilliant result.
- Listen girls; there will be one quiz and two examinations next week, you must start preparing from today and I hope you will get good grades as usual.
- All the girls will be awarded their prizes next week; those who have secured high positions will be awarded separately after the end of this course.
- Learning other chores is necessary for all the girls; we have started special classes of cooking and other daily household chores.
5 examples of how to use Girls’ in a sentence
- Girls’ singing competition will be started from next week; those who are interested can enroll themselves and select your genre of singing.
- Girls’ problems matter, all the world organizations must be active in order to cope up the challenges related to girls’ education and health.
- Our aim for 2030 is to build more than 100 girls’ schools in order to promote better education and to face the new world’s challenges.
- Girls’ priorities must be highlighted first including their basic rights, education, health and equal opportunities in working environment.
- Girls’ rights activists must be interviewed in order to know their views and demands; I don’t think they are demanding any basic rights!
5 examples of how to use Girl’s in a sentence
- I forgot to bring little girl’s clothes, I must go back to bring all the necessary items because we cannot find them on our journey!
- Our little girl’s birthday is on next week, we must celebrate it and all her fellows must be invited to the ceremony because Anna will be happy to see her.
- She is our little girl’s friend, her name is Angelina and she lives in the next street; I love her smile and she is quite healthy as compared to our Julie.
- Your girl’s health is better now and I am optimistic that she will be discharged soon, it was a minor injury and we have treated it 100 percent.
- I have just received that girl’s friend request, I can’t believe that she herself has requested me and I will be lucky if I will meet her in the next week.
Quiz: Have you mastered Girls, Girls’ and Girl’s?
Correct answers can be seen under the next heading
- (A. girls /B. girls’/C. girl’s) drawing competition will be started soon; there are 100 seats available so you must get enrolled yourself.
- (A. girls /B. girls’/C. girl’s) from the West are quite taller as compared to those of Asian ethnicities.
- Where is (A. girls /B. girls’/C. girl’s) feeder? I am searching for it since morning, you are very careless Adam and look she is very hungry!
- (A. girls /B. girls’/C. girl’s) name must be selected by you and I don’t want someone else to select it because she is your daughter.
- I love chubby (A. girls /B. girls’/C. girl’s) as compared to the skinny ones because the chubby ones are always serious about their studies!
Answers to the quiz on Girls, Girls’ and Girl’s
You may also like: Dogs or Dogs’ or Dog’s? Correct Possessive (Helpful Examples)