“Best practice” works well when you’re trying to develop a new standard or ruleset. It’s a great way for businesses to introduce new ways of doing things that beats the old way. This article will explore some better alternatives that you might be able to use.
What Can I Say Instead Of “Best Practice”?
There are some great ways for us to replace “best practice.” Give one of these synonyms are try:
- Industry standard
- Best method
- Best policy
- Best direction
- Plan of attack
- Sound principles
- Exemplary conduct
- Innovative techniques
- New course of action
- Updated standards
- Best bet
The preferred version is “industry standard.” It works well to show that new rules or standards are put in place that is better suited to the current “industry.” If you can keep your standards in line with the industry as a whole, you’re setting your business up for success.
“Industry standard” is a great way to show that we’ve kept out standards and practices in line with the rest of the industry. Typically, this helps us to get good reviews when we are visited by people within the same industry.
It’s always best to have your business working to the same practices as your competitors. As long as they are efficient, it makes more sense to keep to a uniform industry standard over anything else.
- We’re not meeting the industry standards, and it’s time for us to change that. We can’t keep skirting on the edge.
- It’s the industry standard, so it makes sense that we follow along with it. We don’t want to be left behind.
- This isn’t the industry standard. You’ll have to completely change the way you do things if you want a good review.
“Best method” is a good way to replace “best practice.” We can keep the same superlative form of “best,” but “method” works well to show that there is a method or manner in which you’re doing things within your businesses.
- Do you think this is the best method out there? I’m sure there are some better ways for us to get the most out of our employees.
- It’s the best method and practice. We need to know that you’re all in agreement with our direction before moving forward.
- We have invented the best method for us. We’ll be putting it forward at the next board meeting to see what they say.
We can also replace “practice” with “policy.” “Best policy” shows that new rules or ideas have been introduced, and they are considered to be the “best” possible options for your business right now. It’s a good way to show that you’ve optimized your workplace.
- We’ve implemented the best policy that we know is going to work for us. We just need you all to agree with it.
- It’s the best policy we’ve had in a long time. It’s time for us to show our competitors what we’re made of.
- The best policy you’ve put in place is underway. We’ve managed to get most of the teams to agree to the new operations.
The last “best” phrase is “best direction.” If you’ve made a change that’s completely overhauled the original standards or practices, you might say that you’ve changed “directions.” Saying “best direction” implies that it’s the right way for you to go in the business.
- We can’t figure out what the best direction is going to be. We’ve tried everything, but none of us can settle on the best.
- It’s not the best direction, but it’s certainly a start. We think it’s going to be wise to follow through with this and see what happens.
- The best direction has yet to make itself clear. We’ll keep trying until we sort it out, though.
Plan Of Attack
“Plan of attack” shows confidence. We can use it to show that we’re certain that something is going to change in the business, and we’re going to “attack” it in a way that makes sense to capitalize on the new changes.
- What’s the plan of attack, then? You seem to have a good idea about how you want this business to continue.
- The plan of attack seems a bit dumb, and I think you should reconsider. I want what’s best for this company, after all.
- I don’t have a plan of attack in place. I need help to sort something out that’s going to keep up in business.
“Sound principles” is an interesting choice. Not many people use “sound” to replace” best” as a word, but they are synonymous in formal cases. It’s a good way to show that you have new ideas in place that are going to achieve success later down the line.
- I have a few sound principles that I think are going to work well for us. We just need to find a way to get everyone to agree to them.
- These are sound principles, and I appreciate the effort you’ve put into creating them. I’ll talk to my team about them.
- I would like to know more about these sound principles. Do you have any documents that might explain them?
“Exemplary conduct” is more specific than the others. We can use it to show that we’ve put new practices in place that are going to take the business to the next level. “Exemplary” means that you are going above and beyond what was previously possible.
- You’ll have to pardon the new, exemplary conduct procedures. Most people here are still trying to get used to them.
- Exemplary conduct is what we’re striving for here. Anything less than that will not be accepted!
- I need you to work out some ways to get us to an exemplary conduct level. We can’t keep up at this rate.
“Innovative techniques” can be created by anybody (not just the boss of a business). If someone is “innovative,” it means they’ve come up with ideas that might help to change the structure or practices of a company for good.
- There are some innovative techniques out there that we need to capitalize on. We can’t let our competitors get ahead.
- I would like to take my innovative techniques to the board. I think they’ll be interested in what I’ve got to sell.
- These innovative techniques are going to make it very difficult for us to do anything. I don’t like them.
New Course Of Action
“New course of action” simply means that there’s a new way for a company to do things. It’s a good way to use the phrase because it shows that you’re thinking about new ideas that are potentially going to revamp the business you currently work for.
- I’ve implemented a new course of action that’s going to make all of this much easier to sort out.
- If you’d like to present the new course of action to them, I’ll be happy to back you up. I believe in the system.
- It’s a new course of action, but it’s going to work wonders for us. I think we should take it to the boss to see what she thinks.
“Updated standards” works exactly as you might expect. We can “update” standards to show that we are making them better than they were before. This is great when we want to show that things need changing, and it’s usually going to help us perform as a business.
- The updated standards have been put forward. Now, we just have to rely on all of you to make sure you stick to them.
- We have a few updated standards that we’d like to go through with you. Do you think you’d be able to help us out?
- I want these updated standards to be foolproof. We can’t let anybody fall through the cracks this time.
“Best bet” is a more informal phrase. We included it at the end because it’s not often that you’re going to hear it in a business context. We use it more informally to show how certain things work.
It still works in the same manner, since “best bet” implies that something is going to be your “best option” or “best practice.”
- These new standards are going to be your best bet on getting back on track. Don’t shirk your duties with them.
- You’re going to have to listen to these new rules. It’s your best bet to stay in your boss’s good books.
- We know that these new ideas are our best bet for success. We just need all of you to start abiding by them.
What Is The Opposite Of “Best Practice”?
We’ve looked at all the best synonyms, so it’s time to look at a good antonym. It’s always good to know the opposites of words or phrases, just in case.
The opposite of “best practice” is “bad practice” or “poor practice.” We can use both to show that the current standards in place aren’t up to scratch, and they usually don’t yield the results that we might expect of them.
Martin holds a Master’s degree in Finance and International Business. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Read more about Martin here.