If you want to know how to say thank you for a retirement gift to your coworkers, this article will help you out. It will give you the best options to write a thank you note or give a thank you speech.
The best ways to say thank you for a retirement gift are “this is such a thoughtful gift,” “I didn’t expect this gift at all,” and “I’m so grateful you got me this retirement gift.” These phrases show that you are touched by everyone coming together to buy a gift.
1. This Is Such A Thoughtful Gift
“This is such a thoughtful gift” proves to your coworkers how touched you are by their choices. If you did not expect them to give you a gift on your last day, you should use this phrase.
- This is such a thoughtful gift. Thank you so much for getting me this. I had no idea you were all chipping in.
- This is such a thoughtful gift. I don’t deserve it, but I’m thankful you care about me this much.
- This is such a thoughtful gift. I’m going to miss you all after I retire. It won’t be the same when I don’t see your faces in the morning.
2. I Didn’t Expect This Gift At All
“I didn’t expect this gift at all” is great because it shows that you weren’t taking anything for granted or expecting anything. The fact that you received a gift from your coworkers was a bonus, and you can use this phrase to show them that you care.
- I didn’t expect this gift at all. You have made me so happy, and I hope we can stay in touch even when I leave tomorrow.
- I didn’t expect this gift at all. I really appreciate you guys getting this for me. I’m so touched by the effort.
- I didn’t expect this gift at all. You’ve made me a very happy man. Now I don’t want to retire! I love you guys too much.
3. I’m So Grateful You Got Me This Retirement Gift
“I’m so grateful you got me this retirement gift” is great in many situations. It shows that you are appreciative and grateful without being overly complicated in the way you word it (making it very effective as part of a thank you speech).
- I’m so grateful you got me this retirement gift. It will constantly remind me how much fun I had while working here.
- I’m so grateful you got me this retirement gift. It’s so much nicer than I ever imagined it would be. Thank you.
- I’m so grateful you got me this retirement gift. I did not expect to receive anything. I thought today would just be a nice quiet goodbye!
4. I Don’t Want To Retire Now!
“I don’t want to retire now!” shows that you were so touched by the gift you did not want to leave your coworkers. It works really well when you don’t expect any kind of present. It lets your colleagues know that you will really miss them.
- I don’t want to retire now! You guys have made me so happy, and I hope you realize that I care so much about you.
- I don’t want to retire now! I had no idea you were all going to get me a gift. It just shows me how much you all care.
- I don’t want to retire now! This is, by far, the best team I’ve ever worked on. I want you to know how much I value you all.
5. I’m Going To Miss You Guys
“I’m going to miss you guys” is another great way to show your team how much they mean to you. If you are truly going to miss the people you worked with after retirement, you should definitely tell them by using this phrase.
- I’m going to miss you guys so much. This gift just showed me how close our bond was to each other. You’re the best.
- I’m going to miss you guys. You’ve shown me repeatedly how much you care, and it’s a shame to say goodbye!
- I’m going to miss you guys. Thank you so much for the beautiful gift. It’s bringing a tear to my eye!
6. You’re All So Kind For Getting Me This
“You’re all so kind for getting me this” shows that you value the friendships and companionships you’d created with colleagues at work. It’s a great way to let them know you are touched by their actions.
- You’re all so kind for getting me this. I had no idea you were planning something like this. It means a lot to me.
- You’re all so kind for getting me this. How did you know it was exactly what I wanted? I don’t remember saying anything.
- You’re all so kind for getting me this. I didn’t expect a retirement gift, but it means a lot that you thought of me here.
7. I Love This Gift
“I love this gift” is a subtle way to show your appreciation for any gift. You can use it for a retirement gift, especially if you weren’t expecting to receive a gift that meant a lot to you.
- I love this gift so much. You’ve touched me deeply by all chipping in to get it for me. Thank you so much.
- I love this gift. It shows me just how much you all care. I never realized I could be this close to a team I worked with.
- I love this gift. I’m really going to miss you all when I retire at the end of the week. It’s going to be a hard time!
8. This Is A Great Gift To Take Home With Me
“This is a great gift to take home with me” shows that you value the gift you received, and you’ll take it back to remember your coworkers. You can follow this phrase up by stating where you’re going to place it in your home to show that it means a lot to you.
- This is a great gift to take home with me. I’ll keep it on my mantlepiece to make sure I never forget about my colleagues.
- This is a great gift to take home with me. I’ll never forget you guys, and I’ll be sure to come in a few times to say hello.
- This is a great gift to take home with me. It will sit in a very special corner of my living room. I’ll never forget this gesture.
9. I Didn’t Expect To Receive A Gift Today
“I didn’t expect to receive a gift today” works well for unexpected retirement gifts. You won’t often ask for a retirement gift, so most of them become unexpected.
Nevertheless, this is a great phrase to use when you’re touched by everyone coming together to get you something.
- Thank you so much for surprising me! I didn’t expect to receive a gift today. In fact, I didn’t expect a gift at all.
- I didn’t expect to receive a gift today. You always did know how to make me smile. Thank you for showing how much you care.
- I didn’t expect to receive a gift today. You’ve all made me a happy man. I can retire with a smile on my face now.
10. Thank You So Much For The Kind Gift
“Thank you so much for the kind gift” is a loving way to accept any gift. It doesn’t only relate to retirement gifts, but it works well to show that you appreciate the last gift your coworkers got you before you retired for good.
- Thank you so much for the kind gift. I was not expecting to receive anything when I walked through those doors this morning.
- Thank you so much for the kind gift. It’s everything I ever dreamed of, and I’m so glad you guys thought about me.
- Thank you so much for the kind gift. I had no idea I meant this much to you! It’s nice to know I have friends on this team.
11. I Appreciate The Gift You Got For Me
“I appreciate the gift you got for me” is a more formal synonym you can use. It works well when you want to show how much you respect your colleagues for getting you such a nice gift as your final farewell.
- I appreciate the gift you got for me. You have all made retirement much harder now because I’m really going to miss you all!
- I appreciate the gift you got for me. Thank you so much for taking the time to get me something like this.
- I appreciate the gift you got for me. It’s a great way to show me you care. I really appreciate the effort that went into it.
12. Thanks, Team!
“Thanks, team!” is an informal option you can use. If you were really close to the people on your team, you should use a phrase like this. Feel free to mix up the wording to make it more personal (i.e. “cheers, guys” or “thank you, lads”).
- Thanks, team! You are the best coworkers an old man like me could ask for. I’ll never forget you.
- Thanks, team! You’ve all made me so happy today. This retirement gift is going to have a special place in my heart.
- Thanks, team! You’re the best coworkers out there. I appreciate your effort in getting me a gift like this!
Martin holds a Master’s degree in Finance and International Business. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Read more about Martin here.