When it comes to writing or saying the number 1500, you are left with two options. You could either say “fifteen hundred” or “one thousand five hundred.” Both are correct, but this article will explain which one is more suitable in which case.
Should I Use “Fifteen Hundred” Or “One Thousand Five Hundred”?
You should use “fifteen hundred” when saying 1500 in more informal settings. It’s the most common informal choice for native English speakers to use. You should use “one thousand five hundred” formally or in legal documents because it’s more proper.
You might think the difference between the two isn’t all that important, but it mostly comes down to speaking and writing.
We can determine that “fifteen hundred” is the more common way to say 1500. That’s because it’s much easier to roll off the tongue, which many people like to do when they’re speaking.
However, “fifteen hundred” might not always be the most suitable choice in written English. It can be tricky to figure out the exact number we want, which is why we like to make it more obvious by saying “one thousand five hundred.”
Is “One Thousand Five Hundred” More Formal Than “Fifteen Hundred”?
As we’ve said, it’s more common to find “one thousand five hundred” in most formal cases of writing. It’s much easier to understand which number we mean directly, and it has no wiggle room about it.
“One thousand five hundred” is the more formal choice over “fifteen hundred.” We can use it for all formal documents because everyone knows what number we mean.
Sometimes, legal or formal documents come with forgery. If we write “fifteen hundred” or “1500” where the number should be, someone might be able to forge a different number based on how it was written.
However, there is no way to forge “one thousand five hundred” into another number without making the changes very obvious. This could mean that any crossing out or erasing is spotted on the document, which is yet another reason why we prefer it as the formal choice.
Examples Of When To Use “One Thousand Five Hundred” In A Sentence
Some examples might help you to understand more about each of the phrases. You can use “one thousand five hundred” whenever you want to be more formal.
- You should be given one thousand five hundred dollars for the accident you had under their care.
- I am applying for a loan of one thousand five hundred dollars, and I will not leave until we sort this out.
- You should have given him one thousand five hundred dollars more, but I suppose you don’t have that in you.
- We don’t have the one thousand five hundred dollars that you’re looking for!
- There are more than one thousand five hundred different types out there, so you’ll have to be more specific about which one you want.
- The one thousand five hundred that I’ve already dealt with are filed away, and you need to give me another one if you want it processed.
- There are one thousand five hundred total employees in this building.
“One thousand five hundred” works whenever we want to be more formal. It’s mostly written as part of formal documentation, which means it’s not the most common choice in standard written or spoken English.
Examples Of When To Use “Fifteen Hundred” In A Sentence
We might use “fifteen hundred” in more cases. It’s more informal, giving us plenty of wiggle room when it comes to using it in more situations.
- I have fifteen hundred hours in this game, and I’m more than happy to keep playing it to teach you.
- The fifteen hundred dollars you gave me have run out, and I need more to get by.
- I don’t have fifteen hundred minutes to give you any more, son!
- You have the fifteen hundred big ones that I gave you, right?
- I only needed another fifteen hundred dollars before I could start my company, but my parents weren’t giving it to me!
- You should have told me that you only needed fifteen hundred. Maybe I could have helped!
- I wanted fifteen hundred of them, but they only ended up giving me a thousand.
“Fifteen hundred” is informal. We can use it to establish the number 1500 in many contexts. There aren’t many rules that stop us from using it in this way, which is why it’s generally the most common choice.
Is “Fifteen Hundred” Or “One Thousand Five Hundred” Used The Most?
It might interest you to see some statistics of which is the more common choice in written English. We have the graph needed to show you which one sees more usage.
According to Google Ngram Viewer, “fifteen hundred” is the most popular choice. It has lost some popularity over the years, but it has always been more popular than “one thousand five hundred.”
The reason that “fifteen hundred” is more popular comes from its informality. We prefer to use it in more common cases, so it appears in more contexts.
Since writers can write both informal and formal pieces, it shouldn’t be surprising that there are more informal pieces of writing out there than formal ones.
Is “Fifteen Hundred” And “One Thousand Five Hundred” Used Differently In The UK And The US?
It might also help to see whether there’s a difference in usage between the UK and the US. Sometimes, the different countries will value different words and meanings based on what’s common.
According to Google Ngram Viewer, “fifteen hundred” is most common in American English. They value “fifteen hundred” in most written cases, and it follows the same rules as we have mentioned throughout this article.
According to Google Ngram Viewer, “fifteen hundred” is also more common in British English. However, this popularity mostly comes from written cases, as most British English speakers prefer the more formal “one thousand five hundred” when using the number in spoken English.
American and British English both prefer “fifteen hundred” in written English. However, it seems that British English prefers “one thousand five hundred” in spoken English, while American English does not.