“Is” and “are” are verb forms that usually depend on singular or plural notions. However, the word “none” doesn’t strictly have a singular or plural form. This article will explore how “none of us” works with “is” or “are” and which one is correct.
Table of Contents
“None Of Us Is” Or “None Of Us Are: Is “None” Singular Or Plural?
“None” is neither singular nor plural. It is less than one and much less than many, meaning we can’t apply standard singular or plural rules to it. Instead, we can use both “none of us is” and “none of us are,” and it’s a matter that entirely depends on the sentence structure.
The context is the most important thing when determining whether we use “is” or “are” after “none of us.” We could use either since there’s no way to establish the singular or plural form.
Even adding the pronoun “us” (which is plural) is not enough to change “none” into a plural word.
Examples Of How To Use “None Of Us Is” In A Sentence
You might benefit from seeing some examples of both of the phrases in action. We’ll start with “is,” where we technically treat “none of us” like a singular form (even though it doesn’t have a form).
- None of us is better than the other.
- None of us is making it out of here.
- None of us is telling the truth with this one.
- None of us is using the right method to fix this.
- None of us is in the wrong, though none are in the right either.
- None of us is getting into trouble tonight.
- None of us is here for a reason.
All of these sentences are correct. We can use “none of us is” whenever we’re talking about multiple people not being able to do something.
Examples Of How To Use “None Of Us Are” In A Sentence
Interestingly, all the same rules seem to apply with “none of us are.” The two phrases are synonymous, and your choice of “is” or “are” is mostly up to you and the context you use with it.
- None of us are coming with you, Jim.
- None of us are thinking the same thing right now.
- None of us are going to help you.
- None of us are leading the way.
- None of us are kind to the others.
- None of us are here for a reason.
- None of us are on the lookout for the things they asked of us.
“None of us are” is also correct. We can use it again to show that no people in a specified group are capable of doing something.
How Prevalent Is The Use Of “None Of Us Is” And “None Of Us Are”?
You might also be interested to learn about certain statistics to do with the phrases. We can show you which one is more popular overall in English.
According to Google Ngram Viewer, “none of us are” is the most popular choice. This is because “are” applies to the plural form, and “us” is also a plural pronoun. Even though this doesn’t have a direct impact, many native speakers prefer the familiarity of it.
“None of us is” is still a popular choice, though not nearly as popular as “none of us are.” We are used to reading “us are” on a page since we can link both of them to the plural form. Even if “none” cannot be plural, it is still the most comfortable phrase for most.
Is It “None Of Us Knows” Or “None Of Us Know”?
The same rules apply no matter what verb we use.
“None” is not quantifiable. We cannot refer to it in the singular or plural form. Therefore, both singular and plural verbs work alongside it and are completely interchangeable with each other.
- None of us knows the time, I’m afraid.
- None of us know the time, I’m afraid.
Is It “None Of Them Is” Or “None Of Them Are”?
“None of them is” and “none of them are” are both correct. Again, we cannot add a singular or plural value to “none,” meaning that both verb forms will always be correct. Only the context and the writer’s preference determine which is used.
- None of them is going to make it.
- None of them are going to make it.