“Newest addition to the family” is an expression that gets used in a surprisingly varied amount of contexts, and therefore you might not be fully sure of what it means. To help with this fact, this article is going to explain what “newest addition to the family” means.
“Newest addition to the family” is a phrase used to talk about something new, usually a person or a pet. However, it could also be used to talk about a new car or appliance in the right context. It’s a catchy phrase that can be applied in many situations.
When someone says that something is the “newest addition to the family”, they’re saying that it’s a thing or a person that has recently been incorporated into their daily lives.
Therefore, if someone uses this phrase to talk about something, then you can bet that that something is a much-welcomed acquisition, and that the family itself is happy about it.
Incorporating “newest addition to the family” into your regular sentences is not a very difficult thing to do, once you’ve seen it in action a few times. To do precisely that, we’ve assembled a list of example sentences that will show you how to use this phrase:
- This little girl named Lily is the newest addition to the family, and we’re all very happy about it.
- This is my new car, it’s the newest addition to the family and I’m going to go take it for a spin.
- The latest addition to the family is Jimmy, our cute new hamster, who you can spot over there.
- This dog is called Tiberius and he’s the newest addition to the family, we’re all very happy for him.
- The newest edition to the family is this old-school TIME magazine, part of my antique collection.
- She’s the newest addition to the family, she’s called Jane and we had her back in March.
- The newest addition to the family is our new pet, a snake called Slip, he’s actually really cute.
“Newest addition to the family” is a phrase used to talk about a new thing in a specific environment, and is being welcomed by the members of that environment. There are other ways to express that core idea in English, and here are some synonym phrases that accomplish exactly that:
- Newest member of the collective.
- Latest addition to the group.
- Newest member of this association.
- Latest addition to the union.
- Newest entry to the contest
Believe it or not, “newest addition to the family” is a really popular phrase, which only makes it natural that there are quite a lot of different ways that people say this particular phrase. Here are some correct ways to say “newest addition to the family”:
- Latest addition to the family
- Newest member of the family
- Latest family member
“Newest addition to the family” is a phrase that inherently refers to something that, when compared to other members of its family or group, is the most recent one. Therefore, you shouldn’t use it to refer to things or people that are not the newest in its group.
For example, if a kid was born three years ago and another kid was born a year ago, the first kid can’t be referred to as the newest addition to the family
“Newest addition to the family” is a phrase applicable to a great variety of situations. For example, when a little baby is born, you can say that they are the newest addition to the family. Same with adopting a kid, or even a pet as well.
You can also use “newest addition to the family” when you’re talking about a new addition you bought for a collection that you own, and you’re playfully referring to that collection as a “family”.
Another situation in which you can use this phrase is when you’re talking about a new appliance that you just bought and that you expect to be using quite a lot in the future.