It’s an exciting time when you and your partner are expecting a baby. It could help to know what phrases work best to announce it to your friends. That way, you’ll know what to say without anyone questioning your choices.
Table of Contents
Is “We’re Expecting A Baby” Correct?
“We’re expecting a baby” is correct. It’s common for native speakers to use “we’re expecting” when they’re waiting for something to happen. In this case, the event in question is related to them having a baby. They’re “expecting” the baby to come along in nine months.
Of course, there are plenty of different reasons why you would (or wouldn’t) want to announce a pregnancy to your peers.
Most people like to wait until a certain point to guarantee there are no complications with their pregnancy. However, regardless of the length of the pregnancy so far, “we’re expecting a baby” is always grammatically correct.
It works because you are “expecting” a baby to arrive at some point. It’s similar to “expecting” a loved one to return from their holiday trip or “expecting” your paycheck to be a certain amount because of all the work you did.
The definition of “expecting,” according to The Cambridge Dictionary, is “to think or believe something will happen, or someone will arrive” or “to be pregnant.”
As you can see from the definition in the dictionary, “expecting” is very closely linked to being pregnant in general.
Is It “We Are Expecting A Baby” Or “We Are Expecting”?
As mentioned above, there’s a specific definition for “expecting” that already relates to being pregnant. Therefore, there isn’t always a need to stay “a baby.”
“We are expecting” is just as correct as “we are expecting a baby.” You can use either phrase to show that you and your partner expect a baby to come along in the next few months.
It’s possible to see the phrase used like this:
- Oh, we are expecting (a baby)! Did we not tell you?
We included “a baby” in parentheses to show you that it can be removed from the sentence. Even if it gets removed, it’s still correct to use “we are expecting” to show that you’re ready to welcome a baby into the world.
Is “We Are Pregnant” Correct?
“We are pregnant” is another way you can say, “we’re expecting a baby.” It works well because it shows that both partners in a relationship are on an even playing field when it comes to having the baby.
As a side note, the woman does all of the work when it comes to pregnancy. They carry the baby for nine months and have to go through the pains of labor after that time.
With that said, that doesn’t mean it’s not a team effort. That’s why some people like to use “we are pregnant” (both men and women), even though only one of the partners is carrying the child.
The idea is to use “we” as a collective family. It shows that you’re both on the same team, and you are both excited to welcome your new baby into the world whenever that time should come.
5 Better Ways To Say “We’re Expecting A Baby”
There are some better alternatives that can replace “we’re expecting a baby.” It might be wise for you to look into some to help you out. Some of the best versions include “we are pregnant,” “we have a baby on the way,” and “we have a bun in the oven.”
We Are Pregnant
“We are pregnant” is a suitable replacement for “we’re expecting a baby.” We’ve already touched on it in the previous section, but it’s worth mentioning here because it truly is a suitable replacement in many cases.
A lot of native speakers use “we are pregnant.” Even men do so, which shows that it works well.
Technically speaking, a man can’t be pregnant, so the phrase “we are pregnant” doesn’t work when one-half of the couple is a man. However, it’s still used to show the happiness and jubilation of a couple.
It also references the couple’s journey together, which a lot of people take for granted.
- Have you heard the news? We’re pregnant, and we can’t wait to see the baby.
- I would like to say that we’re pregnant! We’ve been keeping this a secret until now, but we can’t wait for you to meet him.
- She said that they are pregnant. I was a bit taken aback by it because I didn’t think either of them was ready.
We Have A Baby On The Way
“We have a baby on the way” is a much simpler replacement. It tells someone that there is an indefinite time when the new baby will arrive in the world. Of course, it’s up to the couple to decide whether they want to put an exact time on it.
“We have a baby on the way” is a simple choice used by many native speakers. It gets the point across without using any conceptual or idiomatic expressions that might confuse some people that are out of the loop.
- We have a baby on the way! Can you believe that? I almost couldn’t believe it when I heard the news.
- Okay, yes! We have a baby on the way! We didn’t want you to find out like this, but it’s better than waiting forever to tell you.
- So, we have a baby on the way. We’re going to need all hands on deck to help us out with the rest of this stuff.
We Have A Bun In The Oven
“We have a bun in the oven” is the best idiom to use when replacing “we are expecting.” “Bun in the oven” is the colloquial expression for being pregnant. Many native speakers use it when they’re excited to have a baby.
Also, the act of trying to get pregnant is usually referred to as putting a bun in the oven. Only once the baby is conceived will you be able to say that you “have a bun in the oven.”
It’s a great choice for many reasons, and a lot of native speakers know what it means.
If you’re talking to non-native speakers, you may find that you’re better off avoiding this one. It might be more pain than it’s worth if you find you have to explain it to everyone.
- We have a bun in the oven! After all this time, our hard work has finally paid off!
- We finally have a bun in the oven! I can’t believe I’m going to be a dad! I hope it’s everything I thought it would be.
- I think they said they have a bun in the oven. That’s why they’re no longer available to have fun at these things.
We’re Having A Baby
“We’re having a baby” is the simplest replacement on this list. It tells someone exactly what you’re expecting to happen. You can replace “expecting” with “having” to show that you are working toward the due date.
“Having” isn’t as strong of a word as “expecting” when referring to pregnancy. It doesn’t directly imply that you and your partner are expecting. For this reason, it’s impossible to use the simple “we are having” unlike “we are expecting.”
However, as long as “a baby” is mentioned after the verb, “having a baby” implies ownership of the baby that is currently developing inside the woman’s womb.
- Mom, Dad, we’re having a baby! I wanted to tell you as soon as I heard, but I had to wait until the timing was right.
- I thought you said you were having a baby! I can’t believe I wasn’t in the room at the time you announced that.
- We’re having a baby! We’re going to be delivering our beautiful baby boy within the next three months!
We’re Ready To Welcome Our Baby Into This World
“We’re ready to welcome our baby into this world” is a good choice, albeit slightly long-winded. You should use this one when you want to be a bit more formal. It’s also a good choice to show that you’re prepared and excited.
Many new couples are ill-prepared for their new child. They might be very nervous about it coming, and they might think that they’re not ready to welcome it.
Using a phrase like this lets the people around you know that you’re confident. It shows that you’re prepared to do what it takes as a parent to make sure your child is as happy as possible from the get-go.
Confidence is everything with parenting, especially in the earlier years. If you can get this right from the beginning, you’ll be setting yourself up for plenty of success later down the line.
- We are so ready to welcome our baby into this world. It’s about time that we were looked on with kindness and given a child.
- We’re ready to welcome our baby into this world. I can’t wait to see the kind of person they will become.
- We are ready to welcome our baby into this world. Only a few more months left, and then this will all be over!
You may also like: 9 Words For A Woman Who Has Recently Given Birth