Telling your girlfriend (or anyone) to lose weight is dangerous territory. You have to learn how to do it tactfully and politely. It’s best to encourage them rather than demand it. This article will explore how to tell your girlfriend to lose weight without hurting her feelings.
The best ways to tell your girlfriend to lose weight are “I think we should work together,” “let’s work on this together,” and “I love you, but I think we need to work on ourselves.” Notice how all of these alternatives mention being “together.” This is the best approach.
1. I Think We Should Work Together
“I think we should work together” shows that you think of your relationship as a team effort. It shows that you don’t want your girlfriend to lose weight alone. This phrase works if you know she’ll do better with your help.
- I think we should work together. It’s time for us to see whether we can lose weight. I think it’ll be good for both of us.
- I think we should work together on this. It’s important for us to lose a bit of weight before the wedding, and we should do it together.
- I think we should work together to lose some weight. If we do it together, it will be a lot easier for us to support each other.
2. Let’s Work on This Together
Again, it’s important to show you’re on a team with your girlfriend. “Let’s work on this together” is a great approach to show that you think you can get the best results from working on weight loss at the same time.
- Let’s work on this together. Losing weight doesn’t have to be tricky when you turn it into a team effort. I’ve got you.
- Let’s work on this together. I think we should both lose some weight to make us a little more comfortable for our big day.
- Let’s work on this together. I want to help you lose weight, so I think I’ll do it as well to show you that it’s possible.
3. I Love You, but I Think We Need to Work on Ourselves
“I love you” is a great way to show that you don’t want to offend your girlfriend. After that, you can say, “I think we need to work on ourselves,” to show that you might need to lose some weight.
It’s tactful and shows her that you care while encouraging both of you to lose weight.
- I love you, but I think we need to work on ourselves. Would you be willing to try and lose a little bit of weight with me?
- I love you, but I think we need to work on ourselves. It’s about time that we take our health seriously, so we need to try our best.
- I love you, but I think we need to work on ourselves. I want you to be as confident as you can for our big day, after all.
4. I Don’t Want to Make You Uncomfortable, But
“I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, but” can work well if you approach the sentence after “but” correctly. As long as you remain positive and polite, you can show that you want your girlfriend to lose weight without upsetting her.
- I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, but I think you might need help losing weight. I’m here to do whatever I can.
- I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, but you may need to lose some weight. Don’t worry; I’ll do it with you to help you.
- I don’t want to make you uncomfortable, but we need to lose a bit of weight. I’ll do it with you to help support you.
5. I Love You as You Are
“I love you as you are” shows that you would never ask your girlfriend to change, but you think it might be wise for her to think about it. It puts the decision on her rather than pressuring her to decide because you want her to.
- I love you as you are, but have you thought about losing some weight? It doesn’t have to be much, but I think it’s good for you.
- I love you as you are. I never want you to change, but I also think it’s healthy to drop a few pounds. That goes for both of us.
- I love you as you are and hope you love me the same. I think it’s a good idea if we try to lose a bit of weight, though.
6. I’m Not Asking You to Change, But
“I’m not asking you to change, but” is another good choice as long as you get the sentence after “but” correct. Be clear and polite when you approach the subject.
- I’m not asking you to change, but it would help us both lose weight before we start trying for a baby. What do you say?
- I’m not asking you to change, but I think you would benefit from losing some weight. It will help you feel more confident.
- I’m not asking you to change, but losing weight is your next best option. I think you should seriously consider it.
7. We Can Do This Together
“We can do this together” shows that you and your girlfriend are part of a team. It shows that you’re strongest when you’re doing things together, which works well in many situations to keep her calm and happy.
- We can do this together. I’ve always got your back, and I want you to understand that. I won’t let you suffer through this alone.
- We can do this together, and I think we have to. People are starting to worry about our size, so we should lose some weight.
- We can do this together. I know that we’re strong together. That’s why I think it’s wise to lose some weight.
8. I Believe In You
“I believe in you” is a great way to be encouraging. It shows that you think your girlfriend has what it takes to lose weight, but it also doesn’t put any pressure on her. It allows the decision to be her choice rather than yours.
- I believe in you. I’ll be right there with you if you want to start a weight loss journey. I know you’re able to handle it.
- I believe in you, and I want what’s best for you. Please tell me if there’s anything I can do to make your weight loss easier.
- I believe in you. That’s why I think you would benefit from a weight loss program. It’ll really help you understand yourself.
9. I Think It’s Time for Us to Explore Dietary Options
“I think it’s time for us to explore dietary options” is a great phrase to use in many situations. It shows that you want to work together to come up with a weight loss solution. It’s great to show that you care about your girlfriend’s (and your own) health.
- I think it’s time for us to explore dietary options. It’s not healthy to continue living our lives the way we do.
- I think it’s time for us to explore dietary options. I don’t want to look like this forever, and I’m sure you feel the same.
- I think it’s time for us to explore dietary options. We used to be so much fitter, and I want us to get that back.
10. Would You Like It if We Lost Weight Together?
“Would you like it if we lost weight together?” poses the question to your girlfriend. It checks to make sure that she’s okay with the idea before you force anything on her.
- Would you like it if we lost weight together? I know you struggle on your own, but I want to help you be the best version of yourself.
- Would you like it if we lost weight together? I want things to go smoothly for our wedding, so losing a bit of weight will help.
- Would you like it if we lost weight together? I can arrange a few things to make the process as simple as possible.
11. Losing Some Weight Is the Best Thing for Both of Us
“Losing some weight is the best thing for both of us” is a great phrase because it shows that you believe losing weight is the right step as a couple. It doesn’t put all the pressure on your girlfriend and shows her that you’re willing to change too.
- Losing some weight is the best thing for both of us. I am certain of it. We just need to do it together to stay strong.
- Losing some weight is the best thing for both of us. I want you to know that I’m here to help you however I can.
- Losing some weight is the best thing for both of us. I love you so much, but I think it’s time that we both tried to shed some pounds.
Is It Bad if I Want My Girlfriend to Lose Weight?
It is not bad to want your girlfriend to lose weight, but it’s a difficult subject to approach. Everyone has personal preferences relating to what they find attractive. There isn’t much you can do to change that.
Unfortunately, the subject of weight loss is a difficult one to approach. It’s one that’s often deemed insensitive, and you need to be careful how you approach it.
You definitely shouldn’t say, “I want you to lose weight,” or anything that insinuates that you think they are unattractive because they are overweight.
It’s best to be encouraging and tactful. After all, losing weight can often come with a plethora of health benefits that allow people to live healthy and happy lives.
At the end of the day, if you love your girlfriend, you should love her no matter how she looks.