So, you’re having a baby! Clearly, your friends, family, and coworkers will want to start congratulating you! It’s a big moment.
But how do you respond after receiving congratulations on pregnancy?
This article has gathered the best phrases to help you with that question.
- Thank you for noticing!
- We’re really excited
- We’re looking forward to becoming parents
- It’s what I’ve always wanted
- I really appreciate your kind words!
- I’m hoping for a smooth pregnancy
- I’ve got a good care system in my life to help me
- I can’t wait to meet my baby
- Thanks so much. That’s so sweet
- I already know our baby will be beautiful
You should read on to learn more about the best ways to respond after someone congratulates you on your pregnancy.
1. Thank You for Noticing!
You can use “thank you for noticing!” when someone has complimented your baby bump. If they’ve just congratulated you for being pregnant, then this phrase works well to show how much you appreciate their kind words.
It’s a simple one, but it works really well. Basically, using “thank you” will always work when you want to know how to respond to congratulations in any situation.
You should also check out these examples:
- Thank you for noticing! I’m quite far along now, so I’m not surprised that people have seen my belly.
- Thank you for noticing! I’m very excited to meet my baby, and I hope you’ll be around to see them in a few weeks.
2. We’re Really Excited
Pregnancies aren’t always a one-person thing. So, you might want to use a pronoun like “we” to represent both people in a couple. That’s why “we’re really excited” works well in this situation.
We highly recommend it when thanking friends you’re close with. It shows that you and your partner and so excited to welcome your baby into the world.
Here are a few examples to show you how it works:
- Thanks so much! We’re really excited about the process. We can’t wait to see our new baby.
- We’re really excited about this whole thing! I can’t wait to meet our baby. They’re going to be so perfect.
3. We’re Looking Forward to Becoming Parents
Another great option that represents both parents is “we’re looking forward to becoming parents.” It shows you are a team with your partner, and you’re both very excited to welcome a new baby.
Generally, this is a great way to respond after someone says congratulations. It doesn’t directly say “thank you,” but it shows people how genuinely excited you are about the idea of having a baby.
Here are some examples to show you how to use it:
- We’re looking forward to becoming parents. It’s everything we’ve ever dreamed of, so we’d like to start now!
- Thank you so much for saying that. We’re looking forward to becoming parents for sure.
4. It’s What I’ve Always Wanted
You could say “it’s what I’ve always wanted” after someone congratulates you on your baby news. But when does it work best?
Generally, this phrase shows that you’ve always wanted a baby. It’s a great way to show how excited you are. You can use it when friends congratulate you and know that you’ve been trying for a baby for a while.
Check out the following examples if you’re still unsure:
- Thanks! It’s what I’ve always wanted. Being a mom just seems right to me! I’m so ready to take that step.
- It’s what I’ve always wanted. I’m so nervous, but I can’t help but feel incredibly excited to begin anew.
5. I Really Appreciate Your Kind Words!
To keep things formal and polite, try using “I really appreciate your kind words!” It’s a great phrase that shows you really value someone’s kindness.
Though, this phrase might not work well with close friends. Instead, use it when colleagues congratulate you. It shows you know them well, but you might only have a professional relationship with them.
You can also refer to these examples to help you:
- I really appreciate your kind words! It means a lot that you’ve come by today to tell me that.
- I really appreciate your kind words! Thank you so much for being a big part of my life. The baby will love you.
6. I’m Hoping for a Smooth Pregnancy
There’s no telling what might happen during pregnancy. Unfortunately, things can go badly for someone people. But that doesn’t mean you can’t hope for positive things to come out of yours.
That’s where “I’m hoping for a smooth pregnancy” comes in.
It’s an interesting way to respond to congratulations on pregnancy because it shows you’re thinking about the future. It’s a hopeful phrase, but it also shows that you understand the reality of childbirth.
Perhaps these examples will be of assistance as well:
- Thanks. I’m hoping for a smooth pregnancy. I want things to go well so I can be ready to meet my baby straight away.
- I’m hoping for a smooth pregnancy! I can’t wait to see my baby, though. It feels like I’ve waited for a lifetime.
7. I’ve Got a Good Care System in My Life to Help Me
It’s great to have good people in your life. Strong people who you can depend on go a long way during pregnancy. So, there’s no reason not to mention them when someone congratulates you.
We recommend saying “I’ve got a good care system in my life to help me” when talking to coworkers or people you don’t know well. It shows that you value those closest to you and you’re happy to take on the pregnancy because of all the support.
Here are some examples to show you how to use it:
- Thanks! I’ve got a good care system in my life to help me with the new baby. I’m so excited.
- I’m so excited, and I’ve got a good care system in my life to help me. I can’t wait for you to meet them.
8. I Can’t Wait to Meet My Baby
One of the most loving ways to respond to congratulations on pregnancy is “I can’t wait to meet my baby!” It works best when talking to close friends and showing appreciation for their kind words.
Generally, this phrase works well after a simple “thank you” or “I appreciate that.” You can use it to show that you’d like to involve a good friend in your excitement about having a baby.
You should also refer to the following examples:
- I can’t wait to meet my baby! It just feels right, and I hope they’re going to love it here with me.
- Thank you so much! I can’t wait to meet my baby. The day is getting closer now, and it’s feeling so real.
9. Thanks So Much. That’s So Sweet
Going back to a more simple alternative, “thanks so much” is a great way to start. From there, you can say “that’s so sweet,” which shows you really appreciate someone’s congratulations on your pregnancy.
We highly recommend it when speaking to someone you don’t know well. It shows that you appreciate their kind words, even if you don’t have a strong relationship with them.
Here are some examples if you’d like to see how it works:
- Thanks so much. That’s so sweet of you to say. I’m glad that I’ve got someone like you in my life to help me.
- Thanks so much. That’s so sweet! I appreciate your kind words, and I hope you come to visit when the baby is here.
10. I Already Know Our Baby Will Be Beautiful
New parents and proud parents often go hand in hand. Everyone is proud to bring a new baby into the world, and it’s okay to show someone just how proud and confident you are.
A phrase like “I already know our baby will be beautiful” is a great response after someone says congratulations. It shows you believe in yourself and you want your baby to be beautiful and happy.
Most people will see how positive you are about the situation, and that energy will rub off on them.
Check out these examples if you need more help with it:
- I already know our baby will be beautiful! I can’t wait to bring them into this world and watch them grow.
- Thank you! I already know our baby will be beautiful. I cannot wait to see the smile on their little face.
Martin holds a Master’s degree in Finance and International Business. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Read more about Martin here.