“Brothers” is the plural form of the singular noun ‘brother’. In order to make plural of a singular noun we usually add ‘s’ or ‘es’ after the words.
“Brothers’” is the possessive form of the plural noun ‘brothers’. In English grammar, possessives are used to indicate relations and possessions between people and things. In order to make possessive form of a plural word, we generally add an apostrophe (‘) at the end of that word; the possessive form of the plural noun “brothers” will be brothers’.
“Brother’s” is the possessive form of the singular noun ‘brother’. In English grammar, possessives are used to indicate relations and possessions between people and things. In order to make possessive form of a singular word, we generally add an apostrophe + s (‘s) with that word; the possessive form of the word “brother” will be brother’s.
Should I use Brothers or Brothers’ or Brother’s?
Brothers should be used if you are talking about more than one brother; not about his possessions or relations, ‘brothers’ is the plural form of brother. For example: I have three brothers. Brothers’ should be used if you are talking about more than one brother and their possessions or relations. For example: Brothers’ love is always pure. On the other hand, if you are talking about only one brother and his possessions or relations then you must use brother’s. For example: my brother’s ideas.
5 examples of how to use Brothers in a sentence
- We are three brothers and one sister but our parents love all of us equally and they never differentiate among us.
- Brothers are also invited but they must be there on time otherwise they will not get a chance to meet the leader.
- She has two brothers but I think that she doesn’t love any one and she never comes at our restaurant with any one of her brothers.
- If you have more than two brothers then you are lucky because they are always caring and loving; what do you think?
- Why you don’t call your brothers if you serious issues with that boy and I am sure that your brothers will teach him a good lesson.
5 examples of how to use Brothers’ in a sentence
- Brothers’ rooms must be kept clean and I am sure that they will arrive on next Monday; one must welcome them
- Brothers’ union has many benefits and I am sure that it will also include some of the basic rights related to young boys.
- These are your brothers’ gifts and you must love them; I will ask you about the gifts on Sunday because I have an important meeting right now.
- Brothers’ birthday ceremony must be celebrated because they all are together after four years and I have some interesting plans for that.
- Brothers’ cooperation is always important because without it such a big company will never progress.
5 examples of how to use Brother’s in a sentence
- My brother’s wife is very beautiful and I am sure that they were in love during their university days.
- Brother’s result has been announced and I am going to give him his favorite car as a gift because he has secured highest marks in his batch.
- Brother’s choice is always right and I am going to take his help in my next project because he is literally an insightful man.
- I found my brother’s lost ring and you know he must be very happy when I will give him his favorite ring.
- She is my brother’s best friend and I know that she loves my brother because I have seen them together at many places.
Quiz: Have you mastered Brothers or Brothers’ or Brother’s?
Correct answers can be seen under the next heading
- (A. brothers /B. brothers’/C. brother’s) success must be celebrated and father has promised me to gift him a beautiful car.
- (A. brothers /B. brothers’/C. brother’s) love for their mother remains same all over the globe and I am one of them too.
- My (A. brothers /B. brothers’/C. brother’s) wedding ceremony will be on next Sunday that’s why I am here to invite you all.
- My (A. brothers /B. brothers’/C. brother’s) always quarrel and due to their behavior my mother is sad.
- Why you don’t return your (A. brothers /B. brothers’/C. brother’s) car because you have kept it with you for more than two years.
- (A. brothers /B. brothers’/C. brother’s) respect for their sisters is always pure and unique throughout the world.
Answers to the quiz on Brothers or Brothers’ or Brother’s
You may also like: Sisters or Sisters’ or Sister’s? Correct Possessive (Helpful Examples)